Sarracenia flava (Founder's)
This early-season species is a very handsome plant. Its upright yellow-green pitchers have the cutest curl at the tip of its hood will make you swoon, but it's the sweet nectar that makes flies, yellow jackets and wasps buzz with excitement. This plant knows how to attract them!
Jeff acquired this particular clone of Sarracenia flava during the 1980s, so it was part of his collection when he started the nursery in 1995! This plant is regarded as the "typical" form of S. flava, botanically known as S. flava var. flava. So, if you're looking to collect all of the natural known varieties of S. flava, you want to add this to your collection. It's a reliable grower and is usually the first to send up flower buds soon after the winter snow melts. Yellow flowers by mid-spring. Its best pitchers occur in spring and early summer. May this plant prosper in your garden as it has in ours!
Type of Plant: Outdoor perennial for container growing.
Height: Up to 14 inches.
Sunlight: Full sun during the growing season.
Water: Low-mineral water (50 ppm or less).
Soil: Equal parts peat moss and perlite only.
Winter: Dormant. Minimal protection in USDA zones 7-9. Mulch in colder regions.
PLANT YOU RECEIVE
• Mature division in its second growing season. (NOT a new division.)
• Acclimated for outdoor growing.
• Shipped in a 4-inch pot. Care instructions are included.
Photos illustrate early summer growth. Pitchers may not be present during other seasons. See below for more information.
Plants are grown outdoors at our nursery in Oregon and experience seasonal changes.
• January-March: Plant is dormant with no pitchers.
• April: Spring growth will appear by the end of the month.
• May: Fully developed pitchers will start to appear.
• June: Full display of pitchers. This plant will look its best!
• July-August: Plant will slow down when it’s hot. Some minor spotting.
• September-October: Dormancy begins. Fewer pitchers. No new growth until spring.
• November-December: Plant is dormant. Browned pitchers are cut off.
Another great plant, perfecting package as usual. Has several trumpets just like the picture. Also, these guys are the absolute best about giving help on growing questions. They answer every time and it's not just the standard rote answer you get elsewhere!
Plant arrived in good condition and is already beautiful, with 2 large pitchers and another coming along nicely since I received it
This plant is always a standard and will not ever be phased out. Came in beautiful and very large with lots of pitchers. Golly I was amazed that none of the pitchers were damaged from shipping. Almost like if I just went to their nursery and picked them up my self. I hope to see more colorful varieties of these plants in the future. RECOMMENDED