Jacob Farin, co-owner of Sarracenia Northwest, will show you how to think like a professional carnivorous plant grower to keep your first carnivorous plant alive and healthy. You will learn how sunlight, water, and soil affect your plant's health so that you can avoid common mistakes. When you gain experience growing the most common carnivorous plants in cultivation, you will have the knowledge base to grow other plants with greater confidence.
If you are new to carnivorous plants or have struggled to keep them alive for more than a couple of months, this ebook is for you!
Sarracenia pitchers are browning?
Three main causes. And no, too much sun isn't one of them (page 108).
Sarracenia pitchers are flopping over?
Three main causes (page 110).
Tropical sundews not producing dew?
Seven common causes (page 140).
No pitchers on your Nepenthes?
Eight possible causes (page 153).
Read page 82!
Worried about winter care?
Six important tips to remember (page 126).
Worried that your humidity isn't high enough?
Seriously, read pages 63-66!
The Nuts and Bolts of Carnivorous Plants
• The different types of plants found in cultivation.
• How carnivorous plants capture insects.
• Deciphering the botanical naming system.
The Essentials of Plant Growth
• The real role of bugs when it comes to carnivorous plants.
• How sunlight affects your plant's health.
• How to use tap water safely.
• Appropriate soil ingredients for your plants.
• Temperature and humidity issues.
How to Grow Common Carnivorous Plants
• Venus Flytraps.
• Cold Hardy Sundews (common species).
• Tropical Sundews (common species).
• Nepenthes (common species).
• Troubleshooting of common plant problems.
• How to protect your cold hardy plants from the two biggest threats during winter.
• What to use artificial lights properly to get optimal growth.
How to Treat Common Plant Pests
• How to identify problems with aphids, thrips, and other pests.
• A pesticide to use that is safe on carnivorous plants .
• Dealing with slugs, mosquitoes, and four-legged pests.
The ebook does NOT cover propagation or all types of carnivorous plants. It was written specifically for first-time growers to help them keep their first carnivorous plant alive and healthy. The plants covered in the ebook are easily obtainable, relatively inexpensive, and forgiving of mistakes, which makes them suitable for first-time growers.
The ebook contains over 35,000 words and 170 embedded photographs. The file size is 18 MB (PDF) and is viewable on all computers, tablets, and smart phones.
Released April 2018.
Enjoyed reading Ultimate Carnivorous Plant Guide, well written with a little humor was great.
I purchased a Venus fly trap and 2 Nepenthes plants. All three arrived safely packaged and they looked great. Much better than I expected after being boxed and shipped. A month later and they are doing very well. I emailed the company with a question and was answered within the hour. This is a wonderful company! You can tell they really care about their plants and take pride in what they do. I will definitely purchase from them again and highly recommend them!
I got lucky and got it as a giveaway for Christmas and would definitely recommend it for beginners who like to read it’s jammed full of great information.
Really good for new growers. Highly recommend.
This book is absolutely fantastic. I am a beginner and this is my new "go to" book. I have learned so much and I can't wait to learn more. Thank you for publishing this book. A++++
Very informative handbook, and goes into amazing detail about the care of my plants
A nice quick guide to get care information. It was free due to a deal so I can't complain!