Q/A #145 - A Fungus Among Us Nepenthes

August 5, 2023

Q/A #145 - A Fungus Among Us Nepenthes

I have a Nepenthes ventricosa with a mushroom growing in the soil. I've had a particularly dry few weeks in my house, so I've been watering my plants a little more often than usual. I recently came over to admire the new growth on my Nepenthes and noticed a mushroom that spontaneously burst from the sphagnum moss. It's been more than two years since I last repotted the plant, and I've been watering it with bottled water. On occasion I use fertilizer. I've had the plant for 3 years, and I don't want to kill this plant with a fungus. Will it harm the plant?
(Submitted in August 2021.)


Usually the fungi associated with mushrooms is beneficial, not pathogenic. It might even be a mycorrhizal, which improves the health of may plants. However, it could indicate that your media is breaking down, so I would plan on transplanting into fresh media in the next few weeks. Use a mix of equal parts sphagnum moss and perlite. You can make your own or order a bag of our tropical pitcher plant mix.

• The original question and response have been edited for publication.
• With a database of thousands of questions, we will post a Q&A every few days or so.
• To search for similar posts, click on a hashtag below or use the site's search function.
• To submit a carnivorous plant question, visit
Ask the Growers.