Sarracenia flava, Mixed Forms (SG)
Sarracenia flava, commonly called the yellow trumpet, is a handsome plant. Multitudes of upright traps spring up from dense growth points. A cluster of pitcher will form a canopy of broad, flat lids - the perfect landing spot for flies. At our nursery, we have several of the natural forms of Sarracenia flava. Very often pollen from one form will drift to another form and create an impure form of flava. Seedlings of this type of open pollination pop up a lot and occur in various colors, patterns, and sizes. However, because they're not pure forms, we have a hard time categorizing them. So, we release them as Mixed Forms.
Appearance will differ from plant to plant. Selection is done randomly.
Type of Plant: Outdoor perennial for container growing.
Sunlight: Full sun during the growing season.
Water: Low-mineral water (50 ppm or less).
Soil: Equal parts peat moss and perlite only.
Winter: Dormant. Minimal protection in USDA zones 7-9. Mulch in colder regions.
PLANT YOU RECEIVE
• Seed-grown Sarracenia, 2-3 years old.
• Acclimated for outdoor growing.
• Shipped in a 3-inch pot. Care instructions are included.
Photos illustrate summer growth. Pitchers may not be present during other seasons. See below for more information.
Plants are grown outdoors at our nursery in Oregon and experience seasonal changes.
• January-March: Plant is dormant with no pitchers.
• April: Spring growth will appear by the end of the month.
• May: Fully developed pitchers will start to appear.
• June: Full display of pitchers. This plant will look its best!
• July-August: Plant will slow down when it’s hot. Some minor spotting.
• September-October: Dormancy begins. Fewer pitchers. No new growth until spring.
• November-December: Plant is dormant. Browned pitchers are cut off.
Love the plant. Came with 6 pitchers up to 18” tall. It’s doing well eating lots of flies and has grown 3 more pitchers.
Same review for all plants on this order. They arrived quickly and were healthy and clearly established. Very happy with this and past orders and look forward to future orders.